Thursday, July 25, 2013

Art Tip #120

More Bedtime Reading


Robert Henri

Robert Henri (1873-1929), American artist & teacher. Part of the
 Ashcan School and member of "The Eight".   

A little book packed with wisdom that just keeps on giving.   A fellow artist gave me this book as I was starting my art journey.  Little did I know, that it would find a place beside my easel for many years.  Now it's place is beside my bed.   Inspirational & instructive.

The book is essentially notes by students & his teachings.  The observations & comments to his students are gems to be mined.  I feel he's looking over my shoulder, pushing me in the right direction.   The Mint Museum had an exhibit of his work a few years back and I was lucky to see his work in person.  I only wish I had lived 100 yrs ago...I would have been one of his students (right up front). 

Here are a few of my favorite quotes.

"The eye must be alert, must see the influence of one thing on
another and bring all things into relation"

"Color is only beautiful when it means something."
 
"Art is after all, only a trace...like a footprint which shows one 
has walked bravely and in great happiness."





No comments:

Post a Comment